Sunday, August 15, 2010
Slann Mage Priest
Finally finished! As I recall, I based the throne on a tutorial from White Dwarf when this model was first released in 2003. The red skin on the Slann was dry brushed from a deep red-brown base up to a red-orange - I don't remember what the exact recipe was, I painted him back in '08 and didn't make any notes. The warts on the skin where just lightened up with Bleached Bone and then give a brown ink wash, to give them a slimy look. The Slann's belly and air sacs were based with, probably, Scorched Brown, and then high-lighted with some wacky combination of Bronzed Flesh, khaki and Bleached Bone - again, I don't remember the specifics. The base was finished tonight. The snakes were painted similar to my cold ones. I was considering picking up the Warhammer basing kit to try out the brass leaves, but I decided against paying $25 for it, particularly given that most of the kit is pieces of slate/rock and as you can see, I have plenty of wood-chips to pick from in the backyard. I might go back and add some extra highlights to the throne and toad to give the model some extra pop. A side note, I did not glue the throne to the flying base stem, nor is the Slann glued down, for storage and transport purposes.
Update: I did end up gluing the Slann onto the throne since one little car ride to the game store caused some paint chipping, despite the foam case he was packed in. C'est la vie.