That little Bretonnian Knight was one of my first Warhammer purchases way back in 1998 when army selection via percentages was in vogue (army selection, like fashion, apparently goes in cycles) and Nigel Stillman was a god (more on my hero later). I painted the little guy with some Testor's and Ral Partha paints. He's not even based, but at least I managed to get a decal on the shield.
The Saurus hero is the latest figure that I've finished (by latest, I mean last August, damn I paint slow). He has all kinds of washes and shading and I even successfully incorporated spot colors. He's good, not great, but I'm proud of the guy. I'm finishing up a unit of 5 cold-one riders to go along with him (although I've yet to see an 8th Edition Lizard list online that incorporates these guys), when they're done I'll go into the in's and out's of painting them.
The Saurus warrior looks good. Do you have any more old school Bretonnians?
ReplyDeleteI have a whole 5th edition army stashed away in the garage. It's probably about 1000 points under the current army book.
ReplyDeleteLooking back on your first forrays into painting is painful. Sadly yours look leaps and bounds better than my early attempts....
ReplyDeleteDig the red on the saurus shield btw. what's the recipe?
Nigel Stillman is your hero? Oh dear. I take it you've not heard some of the *strange* things he got up to?
ReplyDeleteI'll re-check my sources so that I can verify stuff - you don't want me posting anything defamatory now do you?
Ins and Outs of painting? 3 Colours plus Devlan Mud. Done.
Good luck with the blog btw.
@ Dethtron: foundation red, mud wash, paint each scale blood red (leaving dark recesses showing), high light orange then yellow (all GW paints). With the orange and yellow, I tried to highlight it to look like the light is catching the tops of the scales, but I wasn't terribly precise.
ReplyDelete@ Stormy: I was very fond of the original How to Make Wargames Terrain and the 5th ed. Brettonian army book. I haven't heard anything about the guy since he left GW. Stillman hasn't been convicted of any sort of heinous sex-crime or been leading a Jonestown-like death-cult, has he? Let me know, I'm curious now.
Also, the only stuff I used Mud wash on was the gold, Skaven fur and shield - I used black on everything else.
haha I still have the wargames terrain book. I even busted it out a few years ago to make cheap palm trees with wire and medical tape. they turned out great
ReplyDelete40k just isn't 40k for me unless there's some palm trees on the table made from some combination of wire, tape, aluminum foil, etc.
ReplyDeleteWait, I want to know about Stillman. What happened to him?
ReplyDelete“Real change begins with simple choices. It’s encouraging to see Wilco supporting practical steps that make sustainable living easier and more accessible. Small efforts, when multiplied, can create a meaningful impact on climate change.”
ReplyDeleteWhat youre saying is completely true. I like your writing style. 성인피씨
ReplyDeleteCheap Replica Handbags You guide me by sharing this toolbox i face problem whenever i exploit this promotion reading your blog i am able to easily use. Stage Wingfoil Dakhla
ReplyDeleteQuickly this site could without doubt generally always be dominant relating to every one of web site buyers, since thoughtful stories plus exams. 성인pc
ReplyDeleteInteresting post , I am going to spend more time learning about this subject www.giftcardmall.com check balance
ReplyDeleteThis blog is honestly underrated! The knowledge you share is extremely valuable. I hope more people discover your work soon because content like this deserves recognition. 99win
ReplyDeleteSpot lets start on this write-up, I honestly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll oftimes be once more you just read a lot more, thank you for that info. 성인PC
ReplyDelete